Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Seeking Balance





Life is filled with ups and downs, givings and takings. Every new responsibility requires some alteration in another area. These changes can be difficult to accept, particularly when they touch upon those things which are of great worth. I greatly cherish my recreation time at this point in my life. I’ve always enjoyed playing World of Warcraft, of course, but it’s beginning to take on a new significance as I undertake a second job and my wife and I seriously consider starting a family. The new job started Monday and I’ve logged into Warcraft once since then – only long enough to purchase Dual Talent Specialization for my Paladin.

The reason this is significant is because prior to the start of this new job I could (technically) log into Warcraft anytime I wanted. I set my own schedule and took a break from work whenever I felt like it. Working away from home denies me that freedom. This has the obvious result of limiting my in-game availability and the less-obvious result of causing me to value my in-game time far more than I did before. World of Warcraft isn’t my only form of recreation, but it’s my primary form. If I’m going to lounge after a hard day of work, it’s going to be at the computer.

A lot of the WoW players I know are students or tech workers (who work from home or have personal laptops at work). Others are unemployed or part-time or even stay-at-home parents. Only a handful have non-computer-related jobs. This isn’t to bash on any one group, but only to say that it’s difficult to correctly balance the pressures of life with a game like World of Warcraft.

I’m struggling right now with the give-and-take between being a responsible adult (work, family, house maintenance, etc) and needing time to relax (WoW, novels, television). I’m so used to being able to relax whenever I need to that I’m struggling with this peculiar form of self-discipline that compels me to plan the time I spend in World of Warcraft well in advance. Compounded with this are my duties as an officer which often compel me to spend my precious in-game time dealing with discontented members or raiding issues. What’s a guy to do?

I can’t claim all the answers, but that’s hardly the purpose of this post. What I can offer is the perspective I’m fighting to maintain – balance is key. Balance between work and play. Balance between my personal enjoyment as a player and my responsibilities as an officer. Balance between preparing (grinding, gearing) and playing (raiding, arenas). Balance in all things. Does this mean a perfect 50-50 balance? No. What it means is that I need to find that place where I can both fulfill my work and family obligations and still relax in World of Warcraft… that place where I can enjoy the game and still help run the guild… that place where I manage to do boring dailies for the gold I need to raid without allowing the game to become “boring.” Balance – here’s hoping I can find it.

Reader Response Request: What approach have you found useful in creating or maintaining this balance in your own life?

------------------------------

Jon Blevins is an officer of In Vino Veritas.
He's a pastor, husband, gamer and coffee-lover.
He lives in Minnesota, where the moose come from.

No comments:

Post a Comment